Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Situation I Faced Today

Today as I was in the elevator going down from the 16th floor to the GF, the elevator stopped on the 7th floor and a man got in. I was the only person with him in the elevator and I had this really big feeling I should walk out of it when he walked in, but, i didn't, I hesitated.

When I got home, I looked up this problem on Islam Q&A to see what their opinion was on this issue, and this is what I found below...Now, some people wont agree with what they have written and others will, BUT, for me, now i know next time I'm in that situation I should get out of the elevator and wait until I can get in again with other women present or alone...
-------------------------------

Is it permissible for a woman to travel in an elevator alone with a non-mahram man?

Question:It allowed to go in a lift if there is a man who is a non mahram in it?(ie if there are just the two of you) Is there a separate ruling for open and closed lifts which have doors?.

Answer:Praise be to Allaah.
Allaah has forbidden a man to be alone with a woman who is not his mahram. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man is alone with a woman but the shaytaan is the third one present.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1171); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Al-Bukhaari (1862) and Muslim (1341) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man should be alone with a woman unless her mahram is with her.”
Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated in Sharh Muslim (14/153) that there is scholarly consensus that it is haraam for a man to be alone with a non-mahram woman. This was also mentioned by al-Haafiz in al-Fath (4/77).

What is meant by a man being alone with a woman is that they are alone together in a place with no one else present.

This meaning applies when a woman travels in an elevator with a man who is not her mahram and there is no one else with them, whether it is open or closed.

Based on that, it is not permissible for a woman to travel in an elevator on her own with a non-mahram man. If there is one or more other women with her, then there is nothing wrong with her travelling on the elevator in that case, because then she is not alone with the man.

If there are both men and women with her, there is nothing wrong with her travelling on it if the elevator is spacious, and she will not be forced to touch or rub against the men. But in this case it is safer for the Muslim woman to walk up the stairs, and seek reward with Allaah for the difficulty that she encounters by doing that, because she is only doing that so as to avoid that which Allaah has forbidden and to avoid fitnah and its causes.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

2 comments:

Adventurous Ammena said...

hmm.. I wonder if this counts for those lifts where the back of it is glass and everyone can see.. interesting. Thanks for this, I just stumbled across your blog.. Ive added it to my blogs list, insha'allah you dont mind. fi amenallah

Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Jazak'Allah for another excellent post.

I personally see the wisdom in getting out of the elevator if in this situation (ie: a non-mahram man enters). I would also leave if it was the glass kind as ammena mentioned.

Your hesitation says a lot, masha'Allah. For some people, this wouldn't cross their mind... and so on.. until, well we end up at a point where we lose complete sense of what is right and what is wrong.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana